Man and Animal in Severan Rome: The Literary Imagination of Claudius Aelianus (Greek Culture in the Roman World)
Posted on 2020-06-18, by books_lover.
The Roman sophist Claudius Aelianus, born in Praeneste in the late second century CE, spent his career cultivating a Greek literary persona. Aelian was a highly regarded writer during his own lifetime, and his literary compilations would be influential for a thousand years and more in the Roman world. This book argues that the De natura animalium, a miscellaneous treasury of animal lore and Aelian's greatest work, is a sophisticated literary critique of Severan Rome. Aelian's fascination with animals reflects the cultural issues of his day: philosophy, religion, the exoticism of Egypt and India, sex, gender, and imperial politics. This study also considers how Aelian's interests in the De natura animalium are echoed in his other works, the Rustic Letters and the Varia Historia. Himself a prominent figure of mainstream Roman Hellenism, Aelian refined his literary aesthetic to produce a reading of nature that is both moral and provocative.
- Ebooks list page : 43875
- 2020-05-07In Stone And Story Early Christianity In The Roman World
- 2020-04-19In Stone and Story Early Christianity in the Roman World
- 2020-04-14In Stone and Story: Early Christianity in the Roman World
- 2017-11-15[PDF] Jewish and Christian Communal Identities in the Roman World (Ancient Judaism and Early Christianity)
- 2014-04-12Between Geography and History: Hellenistic Constructions of the Roman World (repost)
- 2012-06-01Between Geography and History: Hellenistic Constructions of the Roman World
- 2019-12-31Dionysius of Halicarnassus and Augustan Rome: Rhetoric, Criticism and Historiography (Greek Culture in the Roman World)
- 2018-11-28Integration in Rome and in the Roman World Proceedings of the Tenth Workshop of the International Ne...
- 2018-11-01The Boundaries of Art and Social Space in Rome The Caged Bird and Other Art Forms
- 2018-08-13The Boundaries of Art and Social Space in Rome The Caged Bird and Other Art Forms
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Rocket Man: And Other Extraordinary Characters in the History of Flight
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Food Hygiene, Agriculture and Animal Science: Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Food Hygiene, Agriculture and Animal Science: 2015 ... Food Hygiene, Agriculture and Animal Science
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Performance, Memory, and Processions in Ancient Rome: The Pompa Circensis from the Late Republic to Late Antiquity
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Integration in Rome and in the Roman World: Proceedings of the Tenth Workshop of the International Network Impact of Empire (Lille, June 23-25, 2011)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Man and His Becoming according to the Vedanta (Collected Works of Rene Guenon)
- 2016-12-24Food Hygiene, Agriculture and Animal Science Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on...
- 2014-04-17Integration in Rome and in the Roman World: Proceedings of the Tenth Workshop of the International Network Impact of Empire
- 2013-12-01Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory (Audiobook)
- 2013-04-09Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory (Repost) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.