Posted on 2012-12-14. By anonymous.
Benjamin K. Bergen, "Louder Than Words: The New Science of How the Mind Makes Meaning"
ISBN: 0465028292 | 2012 | EPUB/MOBI | 312 pages | 1 MB/1 MB
Whether itâ€™s brusque, convincing, fraught with emotion, or dripping with innuendo, language is fundamentally a tool for conveying meaningâ€”a uniquely human magic trick in which you vibrate your vocal cords to make your innermost thoughts pop up in someone elseâ€™s mind. You can use it to talk about all sorts of thingsâ€”from your new labradoodle puppy to the expansive gardens at Versailles, from Roger Federerâ€™s backhand to things that donâ€™t exist at all, like flying pigs. And when you talk, your listener fills in lots of details you didnâ€™t mentionâ€”the curliness of the dogâ€™s fur or the vast statuary on the grounds of the French palace. Whatâ€™s the trick behind this magic? How does meaning work?
In Louder than Words, cognitive scientist Benjamin Bergen draws together a decadeâ€™s worth of research in psychology, linguistics, and neuroscience to offer a new theory of how our minds make meaning. When we hear words and sentences, Bergen contends, we engage the parts of our brain that we use for perception and action, repurposing these evolutionarily older networks to create simulations in our minds. These embodied simulations, as they're called, are what makes it possible for us to become better baseball players by merely visualizing a well-executed swing; what allows us to remember which cupboard the diapers are in without looking, and what makes it so hard to talk on a cell phone while weâ€™re driving on the highway. Meaning is more than just knowing definitions of words, as others have previously argued. In understanding language, our brains engage in a creative process of constructing rich mental worlds in which we see, hear, feel, and act.
Through whimsical examples and ingenious experiments, Bergen leads us on a virtual tour of the new science of embodied cognition. A brilliant account of our human capacity to understand language, Louder than Words will profoundly change how you read, speak, and listen.
- Ebooks list page : 20790
- 2019-08-23Louder Than Words The New Science of How the Mind Makes Meaning
- 2017-04-11[PDF] Louder Than Words: The New Science of How the Mind Makes Meaning
- 2022-08-10Summary of William W. Li's Eat To Beat Disease The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself
- 2022-08-05Unwinding Anxiety New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind
- 2022-06-25Return to Nature The New Science of How Natural Landscapes Restore Us [Audiobook]
- 2022-06-21Return to Nature The New Science of How Natural Landscapes Restore Us
- 2022-01-20Environmental Biodynamics A New Science of How the Environment Interacts with Human Health
- 2021-07-23Judson Brewer Unwinding Anxiety New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind 2021 - Removed
- 2021-04-25Unwinding Anxiety New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind by Judson Brewer - Removed
- 2021-03-20Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind [Audiobook]
- 2021-01-19Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind - Removed
- 2020-06-27The Mind at Night The New Science of How and Why We Dream
- 2020-04-20Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice
- 2019-01-31Mirroring People The New Science of How We Connect with Others [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-15Mirroring People The New Science of How We Connect with Others [Audiobook]
- 2018-10-30The Mind at Night: The New Science of How and Why We Dream (PDF)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Louder Than Words: Take Your Career from Average to Exceptional with the Hidden Power of Nonverbal Intelligence - Removed
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Mental Biology: The New Science of How the Brain and Mind Relate
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.