Posted on 2020-11-29, by Germany2020.
Nancy LaGreca, "Erotic Mysticism: Subversion and Transcendence in Latin American Modernista Prose"
English | 2016 | ISBN: 146963077X | PDF | pages: 182 | 1.7 mb
Modernismo, Latin America's first homegrown literary movement, has garnered critical attention for its political and social import during a time of intense nation building and efforts to propel the region into modernity. LaGreca's Erotic Mysticism explores two dominant discourses of the period, Catholicism and positivism, which sought to categorize and delimit the desires and behaviors of the ideal citizen. These discourses, LaGreca argues, were powerful because each promised to allay the individual's existential fears. Yet the coexistence of these two competing ideologies, one atheist and one religious, sowed doubt and unease in the modern intellectual who sought an alternative mode of understanding the human condition. From these uncertainties sprang a seductively liberating mode of writing: non-theistic erotic mysticism. Through analysis of key essays and fiction of Carlos Diaz Dufoo (Mexico), Manuel Diaz Rodriguez (Venezuela), Jose Maria Rivas Groot (Colombia), Aurora Caceres (Peru), and Enrique Gomez Carrillo (Guatemala), LaGreca establishes erotic mysticism as a central philosophical substratum of the movement that anticipated the work of twentieth-century theorists such as William James and Georges Bataille. In modernista texts, the mystic's ecstatic state is achieved through a sublime erotic or sensual experience. The noetic mystical state expands one's consciousness, opening his or her mind to embrace diverse ways of loving and engaging. While science and religion sought to mold heteronormal and pragmatically useful citizens, modernista writers employed mystical discourse to transcend boundaries, opening readers' minds to alternative notions of sexuality, gender, desire, acceptance, and, ultimately, art.
- Ebooks list page : 45480
- 2011-11-09How Democracy Works: Political Institutions, Actors, and Arenas in Latin American Policymaking (Interamerican Development Bank)
- 2011-08-01How Democracy Works: Political Institutions, Actors, and Arenas in Latin American Policymaking (Interamerican Development Bank)
- 2020-11-23Transpacific Literary and Cultural Connections: Latin American Influence in Asia
- 2020-05-17Gender and Sexuality in Latin American Horror Cinema: Embodiments of Evil
- 2020-04-30Violence and Resilience in Latin American Cities
- 2020-04-01Diversity and Inclusion in Latin American and Caribbean Workplaces: Experiences, Opportunities, and Challenges
- 2019-12-30Utopias in Latin America: Past and Present (Sussex Latin American Studies)
- 2019-12-10Pilauco: A Late Pleistocene Archaeo-paleontological Site: Osorno, Northwestern Patagonia and Chile (The Latin American Studies Book Series)
- 2018-06-25Capitalism and its Discontents Power and Accumulation in Latin-American Culture
- 2018-04-13Capitalism and its Discontents Power and Accumulation in Latin-American Culture
- 2018-02-01[PDF] How Democracy Works: Political Institutions, Actors, and Arenas in Latin American Policymaking (Interamerican Development Bank)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Improving Access and Quality of Public Services in Latin America: To Govern and To Serve (Latin American Political Economy) - Removed
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Gender and Sexuality in Latin American Horror Cinema: Embodiments of Evil - Removed
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Job Creation in Latin America and the Caribbean: Recent Trends and Policy Challenges (Latin American Development Forum) - Removed
- 2017-12-01[PDF] South America and the First World War: The Impact of the War on Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile (Cambridge Latin American Studies)
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Decline of the U.S. Hegemony?: A Challenge of ALBA and a New Latin American Integration of the Twenty-First Century (Security in the Americas in the Twenty-First Century)
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Violence and Resilience in Latin American Cities
- 2017-10-13[PDF] An Atlas and Survey of Latin American History
- 2017-04-12[PDF] Miniature Messages: The Semiotics and Politics of Latin American Postage Stamps
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.