Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2011-10-16. By anonymous.
Jonathan Daniel Wells, Sheila R. Phipps - Entering the Fray: Gender, Politics, and Culture in the New South
Publisher: UnivÐµrsity of MissÐ¾uri PrÐµss | 2009-12-28 | ISBN: 0826218636 | PDF | 264 pages | 2.58 MB
The study of the New South has in recent decades been greatly enriched by research into gender, reshaping our understanding of the struggle for women's suffrage, the conflicted nature of race and class in the South, the complex story of politics, and the role of family and motherhood in black and white society. This book brings together nine essays that examine the importance of gender, race, and culture in the New South, offering a rich and varied analysis of the multifaceted role of gender in the lives of black and white southerners in the troubled decades of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Ranging widely from conservative activism by white women in 1920s Georgia to black women's political involvement in 1950s Memphis, many of these essays focus on southern women's increasing public activities and high-profile images in the twentieth century. They tell how women shouldered responsibilities for local, national, and international interests; but just as nineteenth-century women's status could be at risk from too much public presence, women of the New South stepped gingerly into the pulsing public arena, taking care to work within what they considered their current gender limitations. The authors - both established and up-and-coming scholars - take on subjects that reflect wide-ranging, sophisticated, and diverse scholarship on black and white women in the New South. They include the efforts of female Home Demonstration Agents to defeat debilitating diseases in rural Florida and the increasing participation of women in historic preservation at Monticello. They also reflect unique personal stories as diverse as lobbyist Kathryn Dunaway's efforts to defeat the Equal Rights Amendment in Georgia and Susan Smith's depiction by the national media as a racist southerner during coverage of her children's deaths. Taken together, these nine essays contribute to the picture of women increasing their movement into political and economic life while all too often still maintaining their gendered place as determined by society. Their rich insights provide new ways to consider the meaning and role of gender in the post - Civil War South.
>>> Download many interesting free eBooks HERE <<<
- Ebooks list page : 14510
- 2011-10-11College of Chinese Language and Culture, ' (Mandarin Chinese Language), Book 1
- 2012-02-12Old Pine Bar - The New Yankee Workshop
- 2012-02-12Morris Chair - The New Yankee Workshop
- 2012-02-11Building a Housewife’s Paradise: Gender, Politics, and American Grocery Stores in the Twentieth Century - Tracey Deutsch - Removed
- 2011-08-22Building a Housewife's Paradise: Gender, Politics, and American Grocery Stores in the Twentieth Century - Removed
- 2021-04-24Nomads and Nation Building in the Western Sahara: Gender, Politics and the Sahrawi
- 2021-04-23Translating the Crisis: Politics and Culture in Spain after the 15M
- 2021-04-16Nomads and Nation Building in the Western Sahara: Gender, Politics and the Sahrawi
- 2021-04-13Nomads and Nation-Building in the Western Sahara - Gender, Politics and the Sahrawi
- 2020-11-22Digital Politics and Culture in Contemporary India: The Making of an Info Nation
- 2020-07-24Paul's Summons to Messianic Life: Political Theology and the Coming Awakening (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
- 2020-06-09Louis XIV Outside In: Images of the Sun King Beyond France, 1661-1715 (Politics and Culture in Europe, 1650-1750)
- 2020-05-28Sweden after Nazism: Politics and Culture in the Wake of the Second World War
- 2020-05-01A Hedonist Manifesto: The Power to Exist (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
- 2020-04-29The Port Huron Statement: Sources and Legacies of the New Left's Founding Manifesto (Politics and Culture in Modern America)
- 2020-04-29Backroads Pragmatists: Mexico's Melting Pot and Civil Rights in the United States (Politics and Culture in Modern America)
- 2020-04-24Christo-Fiction: The Ruins of Athens and Jerusalem (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
- 2020-04-20Insurrections of the Mind: 100 Years of Politics and Culture in America
- 2020-04-15Force of God: Political Theology and the Crisis of Liberal Democracy (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.