Early Christian Discourses on Jesus' Prayer at Gethsemane: Courageous, Committed, Cowardly? (Novum Testamentum, Supplements)
Posted on 2020-05-18, by books_lover.
From early on, Christians passed down the account of Jesus's agony at the prospect of his own death and his prayer that the cup should pass from him (Gethsemane). Yet, this is a troublesome aspect of Christian tradition. Jesus was committed to his death, but as it approached, he prayed for his escape, even as he submitted himself to God's will. Ancient critics mocked Jesus and his followers for the events at Gethsemane. The 'hero' failed to meet the cultural standards for noble death and masculinity. As such, this story calls for further reflection and interpretation. The present book unfolds discourses from the earliest centuries of Christianity to determine what strategies were developed to come to terms with Gethsemane.
- Ebooks list page : 43644
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Early Christian Discourses on Jesus Prayer at Gethsemane: Courageous, Committed, Cowardly? (Novum Testamentum, Supplements) - Removed
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Jesus, Paul, and Early Christianity: Studies in Honour of Henk Jan De Jonge (Novum Testamentum Supplements)
- 2017-10-26[PDF] The Lawsuit Motif in John S Gospel from New Perspectives: Jesus Christ, Crucified Criminal and Emperor of the World (Novum Testamentum, Supplements)
- 2021-01-09Communal Reading in the Time of Jesus: A Window into Early Christian Reading Practices
- 2017-10-06[PDF] From Jesus to the New Testament: Early Christian Theology and the Origin of the New Testament Canon (Baylor-Mohr Siebeck Studies in Early Christianity) (Baylor Mohr Siebeck Studies Early Christianity)
- 2012-10-24Jesus Christ, Sun of God Ancient Cosmology and Early Christian Symbolism by David R. Fideler
- 2021-02-16From Roman to Early Christian Cyprus: Studies in Religion and Archaeology
- 2021-01-06Saints and Symposiasts - The Literature of Food and the Symposium in Greco-Roman and Early Christian Culture
- 2020-12-31Debates over the Resurrection of the Dead Constructing Early Christian Identity
- 2020-12-30Philo of Alexandria and the Construction of Jewishness in Early Christian Writings
- 2020-12-20The Routledge Handbook of Early Christian Philosophy
- 2020-12-18The Routledge Handbook of Early Christian Art
- 2020-12-17The Routledge Handbook of Early Christian Philosophy
- 2020-12-05No Ordinary Angel Celestial Spirits and Christian Claims about Jesus
- 2020-09-13Contextualizing Gender in Early Christian Discourse
- 2020-08-03The Rise of the Early Christian Intellectual
- 2020-06-25Evagrius of Pontus The Greek Ascetic Corpus (Oxford Early Christian Studies)
- 2020-06-24Destroyer of the gods: Early Christian Distinctiveness in the Roman World
- 2020-05-05The Legacy of Demetrius of Alexandria 189-232 CE: The Form and Function of Hagiography in Late Antique and Islamic Egypt (Routledge Studies in the Early Christian World)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.