Posted on 2009-05-13. By anonymous.
University of Nevada Press | 2005 | ISBN: 0874176204, 0874176190 | 296 pages | PDF | 5,25 MB
The story of the Wire Act and how Robert Kennedyâ€™s crusade against the Mob is creating a new generation of Internet gaming outlaws. Gambling has been part of American life since long before the existence of the nation, but Americans have always been ambivalent about it, what David Schwartz calls the "pell-mell history of legal gaming in the United States" is a testament to our paradoxical desire both to gamble and to control gambling. It is in this context that Schwartz examines the history of the Wire Act, passed in 1961 as part of Attorney General Robert F. Kennedyâ€™s crusade against organized crime and given new life in recent efforts to control Internet gambling. Cutting the Wire presents the story of how this law first developed, how it helped fight a war against organized crime, and how it is being used today.
The Wire Act achieved new significance with the development of the Internet in the early 1990s and the growing popularity of online wagering through offshore facilities. The United States government has invoked the Wire Act in a vain effort to control gambling within its borders, at a time when online sports betting is soaring in popularity. By placing the Wire Act into the larger context of Americansâ€™ continuing ambivalence about gambling, Schwartz has produced a provocative, deeply informed analysis of a national habit and the vexing predicaments that derive from it. In America today, 48 of 50 states currently permit some kind of legal gambling. Schwartzâ€™s historical unraveling of the Wire Act exposes the illogic of an outdated law intended to stifle organized crime being used to set national policy on Internet gaming. Cutting the Wire carefully dissects two centuries of American attempts to balance public interest with the technology of gambling.
In order not to miss many of them follow ebooks section (see top of each page on AH)
and visit my blog too :)
- Ebooks list page : 2803
- 2017-12-05[PDF] Cutting The Wire: Gaming Prohibition And The Internet (Gambling Studies Series)
- 2010-04-11Cutting The Wire: Gaming Prohibition And The Internet (Gambling Studies Series)
- 2011-10-01Digital Infrastructure for the Learning Health System: The Foundation for Continuous Improvement in Health and Health Care: Workshop Series Summary (The Learning Health System Series)
- 2011-07-16Digital Infrastructure for the Learning Health System: The Foundation for Continuous Improvement in Health and Health Care: Workshop Series Summary (The Learning Health System Series)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Competition on the Internet (MPI Studies on Intellectual Property and Competition Law) - Removed
- 2011-09-10Learning English With The Complete English Grammar Series
- 2020-02-13Minitel: Welcome to the Internet (Platform Studies)
- 2020-02-04Psychosyntax: The Nature of Grammar and its Place in the Mind (Philosophical Studies Series)
- 2018-12-28Macau and the Casino Complex (Gambling Studies Series)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Women in the Hindu Tradition: Rules, Roles and Exceptions (Routledge Hindu Studies Series)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Black Carib Wars: Freedom, Survival, and the Making of the Garifuna (Caribbean Studies Series)
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Germany, Poland and Postmemorial Relations: In Search of a Livable Past (Europe in Transition - The NYU European Studies Series) [German]
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Migrant Mobilization and Securitization in the US and Europe: How Does It Feel to Be a Threat? (Europe in Transition - The NYU European Studies Series)
- 2017-09-18Minitel Welcome to the Internet (Platform Studies)
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Germany, Poland and Postmemorial Relations: In Search of a Livable Past (Europe in Transition - The NYU European Studies Series) [German]
- 2012-02-06Moral Psychology Today: Essays on Values, Rational Choice, and the Will (Philosophical Studies Series) - David K. Chan
- 2011-11-11Maimonides' Guide for the Perplexed: Silence and Salvation (Routledge Jewish Studies Series)
- 2011-08-02Maimonides' Guide for the Perplexed: Silence and Salvation (Routledge Jewish Studies Series)
- 2011-04-10Muslims and Modernity: An Introduction to the Issues and Debates (Comparative Islamic Studies Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.