Author: Rodney A. Smolla
Posted on 2020-04-22, by freebook77.
In the personal and frank Confessions of a Free Speech Lawyer, Rodney A. Smolla offers an insider's view on the violent confrontations in Charlottesville during the "summer of hate." Blending memoir, courtroom drama, and a consideration of the unhealed wound of racism in our society, he shines a light on the conflict between the value of free speech and the protection of civil rights.
Smolla has spent his career in the thick of these tempestuous and fraught issues, from acting as lead counsel in a famous Supreme Court decision challenging Virginia's law against burning crosses, to serving as co-counsel in a libel suit brought by a fraternity against Rolling Stone magazine for publishing an article alleging that one of the fraternity's initiation rituals included gang rape. Smolla has also been active as a university leader, serving as dean of three law schools and president of one and railing against hate speech and sexual assault on US campuses.
Well before the tiki torches cast their ominous shadows across the nation, the city of Charlottesville sought to relocate the Unite the Right rally; Smolla was approached to represent the alt-right groups. Though he declined, he came to wonder what his history of advocacy had wrought. Feeling unsettlingly complicit, he joined the Charlottesville Task Force, and he realized that the events that transpired there had meaning and resonance far beyond a singular time and place. Why, he wonders, has one of our foundational rights created a land in which such tragic clashes happen all too frequently?
- Ebooks list page : 43345
- 2011-12-15Breast Cancer and the Environment: A Life Course Approach free ebook download
- 2021-01-13Private Speech, Executive Functioning, and the Development of Verbal Self-Regulation
- 2020-08-12Live Free Or Die America (and the World) on the Brink by Sean Hannity
- 2020-08-08Live Free Or Die America (and the World) on the Brink by Sean Hannity
- 2020-08-06Live Free Or Die America (and the World) on the Brink by Sean Hannity
- 2020-05-09Live Free Or Die: America (and the World) on the Brink
- 2020-04-28The Natural Way to Clean Chemical-free cleaning save money and the planet!
- 2020-03-24Free Thinker: Sex, Suffrage, and the Extraordinary Life of Helen Hamilton Gardener
- 2019-12-12Free Traders: Elites, Democracy, and the Rise of Globalization in North America
- 2019-12-10Psychopolitics of Speech: Uncivil Discourse and the Excess of Desire (Political Science)
- 2018-12-05Defending Free Speech Selected Commentary by the Ayn Rand Institute [Audiobook]
- 2018-06-23Tell This Silence Asian American Women Writers and the Politics of Speech
- 2017-11-18[PDF] The Free State of Jones and The Echo of the Black Horn: Two Sides of the Life and Activities of Captain Newt Knight
- 2017-11-11[PDF] How It Feels to Be Free: Black Women Entertainers and the Civil Rights Movement
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Bond Men Made Free: Medieval Peasant Movements and the English Rising of 1381
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Free World: America, Europe, and the Surprising Future of the West
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Bond Men Made Free: Medieval Peasant Movements and the English Rising of 1381
- 2017-01-10[PDF] How It Feels to Be Free: Black Women Entertainers and the Civil Rights Movement
- 2014-06-10Basic Income and the Free Market: Austrian Economics and the Potential for Efficient Redistribution - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.