Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike that Changed America (Repost)
Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2014-04-07. By anonymous.
English | ISBN: 0199836787 | 2011 | PDF | 504 pages | 5 MB
In August 1981, the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PATCO) called an illegal strike. The new president, Ronald Reagan, fired the strikers, establishing a reputation for both decisiveness and hostility to organized labor. As Joseph A. McCartin writes, the strike was the culmination of two decades of escalating conflict between controllers and the government that stemmed from the high-pressure nature of the job and the controllers' inability to negotiate with their employer over vital issues. PATCO's fall not only ushered in a long period of labor decline; it also served as a harbinger of the campaign against public sector unions that now roils American politics.
Collision Course sets the strike within a vivid panorama of the rise of the world's busiest air-traffic control system. It begins with an arresting account of the 1960 midair collision over New York that cost 134 lives and exposed the weaknesses of an overburdened system. Through the stories of controllers like Mike Rock and Jack Maher, who were galvanized into action by that disaster and went on to found PATCO, it describes the efforts of those who sought to make the airways safer and fought to win a secure place in the American middle class. It climaxes with the story of Reagan and the controllers, who surprisingly endorsed the Republican on the promise that he would address their grievances. That brief, fateful alliance triggered devastating miscalculations that changed America, forging patterns that still govern the nation's labor politics.
Written with an eye for detail and a grasp of the vast consequences of the PATCO conflict for both air travel and America's working class, Collision Course is a stunning achievement.
- Ebooks list page : 26003
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike that Changed America
- 2012-03-27Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike that Changed America
- 2012-12-12Anarchy, Protest, and Rebellion: And the Counterculture That Changed America (Repost)
- 2012-02-24The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America (repost) - Removed
- 2011-10-14Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America (Repost)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Rendezvous with Destiny: Ronald Reagan and the Campaign That Changed America
- 2014-03-28Rendezvous with Destiny: Ronald Reagan and the Campaign That Changed America
- 2021-07-10Kevin Cook - Kitty Genovese- The Murder, the Bystanders, the Crime that Changed America (azw3 epu...
- 2021-06-25Fight the Power The Movements That Changed America 2021 720p WEB h264-BAE
- 2021-03-12Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening That Changed America
- 2021-02-15Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening That Changed America
- 2020-08-19Tommy: The Gun That Changed America
- 2020-07-29Jimmie Lee & James: Two Lives, Two Deaths, and the Movement that Changed America
- 2019-07-29%(Recommended) - Why You Should Read The Book That Changed America: How Darwin's Theory of Evolution Ignited a Nation by Randall Fuller Online or Download [MOBI EPUB PDF]
- 2019-07-11We Is Got Him The Kidnapping that Changed America
- 2019-06-26Star Spangled Scandal Sex, Murder, and the Trial that Changed America
- 2018-12-07Judgment Days Lyndon Baines Johnson, Martin Luther King Jr., and the Laws That Changed America - Removed
- 2018-11-21Judgment Days Lyndon Baines Johnson, Martin Luther King Jr., and the Laws That Changed America - Removed
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.