Posted on 2014-06-03. By anonymous.
English | 2012 | ISBN: 1603584110 | 272 pages | EPUB | 2 MB
Behind every traditional type of cheese there is a fascinating story. By examining the role of the cheesemaker throughout world history and by understanding a few basic principles of cheese science and technology, we can see how different cheeses have been shaped by and tailored to their surrounding environment, as well as defined by their social and cultural context. Cheese and Culture endeavors to advance our appreciation of cheese origins by viewing human history through the eyes of a cheese scientist.
There is also a larger story to be told, a grand narrative that binds all cheeses together into a single history that started with the discovery of cheese making and that is still unfolding to this day. This book reconstructs that 9000-year story based on the often fragmentary information that we have available. Cheese and Culture embarks on a journey that begins in the Neolithic Age and winds its way through the ensuing centuries to the present. This tour through cheese history intersects with some of the pivotal periods in human prehistory and ancient, classical, medieval, renaissance, and modern history that have shaped western civilization, for these periods also shaped the lives of cheesemakers and the diverse cheeses that they developed. The book offers a useful lens through which to view our twenty-first century attitudes toward cheese that we have inherited from our past, and our attitudes about the food system more broadly.
This refreshingly original book will appeal to anyone who loves history, food, and especially good cheese.
- Ebooks list page : 27357
- 2020-07-11Cheese and Culture A History of Cheese and its Place in Western Civilization
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Cheese and Culture: A History of Cheese and its Place in Western Civilization
- 2014-06-02Cheese and Culture: A History of Cheese and its Place in Western Civilization
- 2019-08-24The First Clash The Miraculous Greek Victory at Marathon and Its Impact on Western Civilization - Removed
- 2017-12-10[PDF] From Madness to Mental Health: Psychiatric Disorder and Its Treatment in Western Civilization
- 2013-05-09The First Clash: The Miraculous Greek Victory at Marathon and Its Impact on Western Civilization
- 2012-02-17[request]The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, its Regions and their Peoples
- 2012-01-21Examination of the U.S. Air Force’s Aircraft Sustainment Needs in the Future and Its Strategy to Meet Those Needs - Committee On Examination Of The U.S. Air Force's Aircraft Sustainment Needs In The Future And Its St
- 2018-10-06Arabic Thought and Its Place in History
- 2017-11-26[PDF] The End of the World: Apocalypse and Its Aftermath in Western Culture
- 2014-05-22The Terror of History: On the Uncertainties of Life in Western Civilization: Mysticism, Heresy and Witchcraft (Repost)
- 2013-12-03Men in Arms: A History of Warfare and its Interrelationships with Western Society
- 2013-07-28The Terror of History: On the Uncertainties of Life in Western Civilization: Mysticism, Heresy and Witchcraft
- 2010-12-01Arabic Thought and Its Place in History (Repost)
- 2021-06-14Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization
- 2021-06-02Targum Chronicles and Its Place Among the Late Targums
- 2021-03-03Towards a Contextual Grammar of English: The Clause and its Place in the Definition of Sentence
- 2020-12-05Inventing the World: Venice and the Transformation of Western Civilization
- 2020-12-05Inventing the World Venice and the Transformation of Western Civilization
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.