Posted on 2020-12-26, by Germany2020.
Character: The History of a Cultural Obsession (Audiobook)
English | ASIN: B084YWDQ79 | 2020 | 16 hours and 27 minutes | M4B@128 kbps | 897 MB
Author: Marjorie Garber
Narrator: Pamela Almand
A spirited, engaging investigation into the concept of character, an enduring human obsession in literature, psychology, politics, and everyday life.
What is "character"? How can it be measured, developed, or built? Are character traits fixed or changeable? Is character innate, or can it be taught?
Since Aristotle's Poetics, philosophers, moralists, artists, and scientists have engaged with the enigma of human character. In its oldest usage, "character" derives from a word for engraving or stamping, yet over time, it has come to mean a moral idea, a type, a literary persona, and a physical or physiological manifestation, observable in works of art or in scientific experiments. It is an ingredient in drama and the focus of self-help books.
As Marjorie Garber explores in Character, character seems more relevant than ever - the term is omnipresent in discussions of politics, sexuality, ethics, morality, and the psyche. But it seems to carry an unusually wide range of meanings, some disconcertingly at odds with others.
Why are "character flaws" of such great interest today, whether in political campaigns, personal relationships, or the biographies (and autobiographies) of famous people, living and dead? What does "character", in this moral or ethical sense, have to do with the concept of a character in a novel or a play? Are our notions about fictional characters in fact helping to produce our ideas about moral character?
The question of "character" arises in virtually every area of modern life. And in every case, there is the same fundamental tension: between something regarded as innate or intrinsic to the individual, and something that can be taught or copied. With characteristic verve, humor, and vast erudition, Garber explores the stakes of these conflations, confusions, and heritages, from Aristotle and Shakespeare to the present preoccupation with "character issues", "character assassination", and the "character flaws" of public figures.
Visit My Profile News Here : https://www.ebookee.com/user/Germany2020
- Ebooks list page : 45893
- 2012-05-12The History of Mathematics: An Introduction, 7 Edition - Removed
- 2011-12-09The Human Mosaic: A Cultural Approach to Human Geography, 11th Edition - Removed
- 2011-12-03The History Boys (BBC Audio)
- 2011-08-30The History Boys [Full Cast Play]
- 2019-01-30Divine Wind The History and Science of Hurricanes [Audiobook]
- 2018-12-07Revolution The History of England, Book 4 [Audiobook]
- 2018-06-30Chernobyl The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe [Audiobook]
- 2018-05-25Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe [Audiobook]
- 2017-04-02Austerity The History of a Dangerous Idea [Audiobook]
- 2014-05-03Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America (Audiobook)
- 2014-05-02Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America [Audiobook]
- 2013-06-17The History of Science: 1700-1900 (Audiobook - TTC)
- 2013-06-06The History of Science: 1700-1900 (Audiobook - TTC) (Repost)
- 2013-03-19The Beach: The History of Paradise on Earth (Audiobook)
- 2012-11-15This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science Of A Human Obsession (Audiobook) (repost)
- 2012-02-23[WP] The History Boys (Full Cast Play) (Audiobook)
- 2011-12-02This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2011-08-31The History Boys (Full Cast Play) (Audiobook)
- 2011-01-05This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession (Audiobook) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.