Artists in Exile: How Refugees from Twentieth-Century War and Revolution Transformed the American Performing Arts
Posted on 2009-05-02. By anonymous.
Publisher: Harper | ISBN: 006074846X | edition 2008 | PDF | 480 pages | 1.64 mb
George Balanchine, in collaboration with Stravinsky, famously created an Americanized version of Russian classical ballet. Kurt Weill, schooled in Berlin jazz, composed a Broadway opera. Rouben Mamoulian's revolutionary Broadway productions of Porgy and Bess and Oklahoma! drew upon Russian "total theater." An army of German filmmakersâ€”among them F. W. Murnau, Fritz Lang, Ernst Lubitsch, and Billy Wilderâ€”made Hollywood more edgy and cosmopolitan. Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich redefined film sexuality. Erich Korngold upholstered the sound of the movies. Rudolf Serkin inspirationally inculcated dour Germanic canons of musical interpretation. An obscure British organist reinvented himself as "Leopold Stokowski." However, most of these gifted Ã©migrÃ©s to the New World found that the freedoms they enjoyed in America diluted rather than amplified their high creative ambitions.
- Ebooks list page : 2744
- 2018-09-20Artists in Exile How Refugees from Twentieth-Century War and Revolution Transformed the American Performing Arts
- 2018-08-05Artists in Exile How Refugees from Twentieth-Century War and Revolution Transformed the American Performing Arts
- 2017-12-07[PDF] War and Revolution: Rethinking the Twentieth Century
- 2017-11-10[PDF] War and State Terrorism: The United States, Japan, and the Asia-Pacific in the Long Twentieth Century (War and Peace Library)
- 2017-10-17[PDF] The Noether Theorems: Invariance and Conservation Laws in the Twentieth Century (Sources and Studies in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences) - Removed
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Twentieth-Century War and Conflict: A Concise Encyclopedia
- 2017-02-09[PDF] The Noether Theorems: Invariance and Conservation Laws in the Twentieth Century (Sources and Studies in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences)
- 2018-09-05The Peacemakers Leadership Lessons from Twentieth-Century Statesmanship [Audiobook]
- 2018-05-01The Peacemakers: Leadership Lessons from Twentieth-Century Statesmanship
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Perceptions of Pregnancy from the Seventeenth to the Twentieth Century (Genders and Sexualities in History) - Removed
- 2010-05-12Wheeler Winston Dixon - Collected Interviews: Voices from Twentieth-Century Cinema
- 2009-07-24Collected Interviews: Voices from Twentieth-Century Cinema
- 2020-05-14How We Live Now: Redefining Home and Family in the 21st Century
- 2020-03-22The Hall of Mirrors: War and Warfare in the Twentieth Century
- 2020-03-15Automobility and the City in Twentieth-Century Britain and Japan (SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan)
- 2019-12-31Africa: War and Conflict in the Twentieth Century (Seminar Studies)
- 2019-12-12Notorious Murders of the Twentieth Century Famous and Forgotten British Cases (True Crime)
- 2019-12-10Healthy Minds in the Twentieth Century: In and Beyond the Asylum (Mental Health in Historical Perspective)
- 2019-07-05 @(Precious) - Why You Should Read My Twentieth Century Evening and Other Small Breakthroughs: The Nobel Lecture by Kazuo Ishiguro Online or Download [~MOBI ~EPUB ~PDF]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.