Author: Katharine Scarfe Beckett
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
Posted on 2008-03-13, by Revelation.
- Author: Katharine Scarfe Beckett
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Publish Date: 2003
- ISBN: 0521829402
- Pages: 290
In this book, Katharine Scarfe Beckett is concerned with representations of the Islamic world prevalent in Anglo-Saxon England. Using a wide variety of literary, historical and archaeological evidence, she argues that the first perceptions of Arabs, Ismaelites and Saracens which derived from Christian exegesis preconditioned wester expressions of hostility and superiority towards peoples of the Islamic world, and that these received ideas prevailed even as material contacts increased between England and Muslim territory. Medieval texts invariably represented Muslim Arabs as Saracens and Ismaelites (or Hagarenes), described by Jerome as biblical enemies of the Christian world three centuries before Muhammad’s lifetime. Two early ideas in particular - that Saracens worshipped Venus and dissembled their own identity - continued into the early modern period. This finding has interesting implications for earlier theses by Edward Said and Norman Daniel concerning the history of English perceptions of Islam.
- Ebooks list page : 1611
- 2011-11-29Architecture Education in the Islamic World
- 2011-08-24Architecture Education in the Islamic World
- 2012-05-19German Helmets Of The Second World War Vol.2
- 2012-04-11The Royal Armoured Corps Tank Museum (part 3).The Second World War 1940-1946
- 2020-10-22The Islamic World in Ascendancy: From the Arab Conquests to the Siege of Vienna
- 2020-08-10Civil–Military Relations in the Islamic World
- 2020-06-14Philosophy in the Islamic World: A history of philosophy without any gaps, Volume 3
- 2020-05-18Printing Arab Modernity: Book Culture and the American Press in Nineteenth-Century Beirut (Arts and Archaeology of the Islamic World)
- 2020-05-11Metalwork and Material Culture in the Islamic World - Art, Craft and Text
- 2020-05-09Anglo-Saxon Emotions: Reading the Heart in Old English Language, Literature and Culture (Studies in Early Medieval Britain and Ireland)
- 2020-05-08Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- 2020-04-30The Ottomans and the Mamluks: Imperial Diplomacy and Warfare in the Islamic World (Library of Ottoman Studies)
- 2020-03-28United Arab Emirates 1975/76-2018 (Contemporary Archive of the Islamic World)
- 2020-02-25Intellectual Interactions in the Islamic World: The Ismaili Thread (Shi'i Heritage Series)
- 2020-01-10The Mongols and the Islamic World: From Conquest to Conversion
- 2020-01-01Syria 1975/76-2018 (Contemporary Archive of the Islamic World)
- 2019-12-26Earthen Architecture in Muslim Cultures (Arts and Archaeology of the Islamic World)
- 2019-11-21Cold War in the Islamic World: Saudi Arabia, Iran and the Struggle for Supremacy
- 2019-05-07Landscapes of the Islamic World Archaeology, History, and Ethnography
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.