Posted on 2019-12-13, by rizentrop.
Although Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick is beloved as one of the most profound and enduring works of American fiction, we rarely consider it a work of nature writing—or even a novel of the sea. Yet Pulitzer Prize–winning author Annie Dillard avers Moby-Dick is the “best book ever written about nature,” and nearly the entirety of the story is set on the waves, with scarcely a whiff of land. In fact, Ishmael’s sea yarn is in conversation with the nature writing of Emerson and Thoreau, and Melville himself did much more than live for a year in a cabin beside a pond. He set sail: to the far remote Pacific Ocean, spending more than three years at sea before writing his masterpiece in 1851. A revelation for Moby-Dick devotees and neophytes alike, Ahab’s Rolling Sea is a chronological journey through the natural history of Melville’s novel. From white whales to whale intelligence, giant squids, barnacles, albatross, and sharks, Richard J. King examines what Melville knew from his own experien
- Ebooks list page : 42114
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The American Sea: A Natural History of the Gulf of Mexico (Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies Series, Sponsored by the Har)
- 2018-04-02Oceans of Kansas : A Natural History of the Western Interior Sea, Second Edition
- 2017-12-31[PDF] A Narrative of Missionary Enterprises in the South Sea Islands: With Remarks Upon the Natural History of the Islands, Origin, Languages, Traditions, ... (Cambridge Library Collection - Religion)
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Sea Snails: A natural history - Removed
- 2021-04-16Kennesaw: Natural History of a Southern Mountain
- 2021-04-15A Natural History of the New World: The Ecology and Evolution of Plants in the Americas
- 2021-04-13Brains Through Time A Natural History of Vertebrates by Georg F Striedter
- 2021-04-11A Natural History of the New World: The Ecology and Evolution of Plants in the Americas
- 2021-04-10A Gathering Of Wonders Behind The Scenes At The American Museum Of Natural History
- 2021-04-03Insect Natural History (Collins New Naturalist Library, Book 8)
- 2021-04-02House Guests, House Pests: A Natural History of Animals in the Home (Bloomsbury Nature Writing)
- 2021-03-21Mountains of the Heart: A Natural History of the Appalachians
- 2021-03-12Dinosaur in a Haystack: Reflections in Natural History
- 2021-03-03You: A Natural History (True EPUB)
- 2021-03-02Vietnam: A Natural History
- 2021-02-19Mountains of the Heart: A Natural History of the Appalachians
- 2021-02-15Dinosaur in a Haystack: Reflections in Natural History
- 2021-02-11You: A Natural History (True EPUB)
- 2021-02-10Vietnam: A Natural History
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.