Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-12-14. By anonymous.
2011 | 408 Pages | ISBN: 0691151334 | EPUB + MOBI | 1 MB + 2 MB
Against Massacre looks at the rise of humanitarian intervention in the nineteenth century, from the fall of Napoleon to the First World War. Examining the concept from a historical perspective, Davide Rodogno explores the understudied cases of European interventions and noninterventions in the Ottoman Empire and brings a new view to this international practice for the contemporary era.
While it is commonly believed that humanitarian interventions are a fairly recent development, Rodogno demonstrates that almost two centuries ago an international community, under the aegis of certain European powers, claimed a moral and political right to intervene in other states' affairs to save strangers from massacre, atrocity, or extermination. On some occasions, these powers acted to protect fellow Christians when allegedly "uncivilized" states, like the Ottoman Empire, violated a "right to life." Exploring the political, legal, and moral status, as well as European perceptions, of the Ottoman Empire, Rodogno investigates the reasons that were put forward to exclude the Ottomans from the so-called Family of Nations. He considers the claims and mixed motives of intervening states for aiding humanity, the relationship between public outcry and state action or inaction, and the bias and selectiveness of governments and campaigners.
An original account of humanitarian interventions some two centuries ago, Against Massacre investigates the varied consequences of European involvement in the Ottoman Empire and the lessons that can be learned for similar actions today.
- Ebooks list page : 24156
- 2008-02-09[request]An Economic and Social History of the Ottoman Empire, 1300-1914 2 volume set
- 2019-08-13The Young Turks' Crime against Humanity: The Armenian Genocide and Ethnic Cleansing in the Ottoman Empire
- 2013-12-14The Young Turks' Crime against Humanity: The Armenian Genocide and Ethnic Cleansing in the Ottoman Empire
- 2012-06-04The War in Afghanistan 1979-1989: The Soviet Empire at High Tide (Concord #1009)
- 2021-02-15Economics and Capitalism in the Ottoman Empire
- 2021-02-12Brokers of Faith, Brokers of Empire: Armenians and the Politics of Reform in the Ottoman Empire
- 2021-02-10Tsar and Sultan: Russian Encounters with the Ottoman Empire
- 2021-01-17Economics and Capitalism in the Ottoman Empire
- 2020-12-01All About History Book of the Ottoman Empire 2nd Edition - November 2020 - Removed
- 2020-09-14A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East[Audiobook]
- 2020-09-14Useful Enemies: Islam and the Ottoman Empire in Western Political Thought, 1450 1750 [Audiobook]
- 2020-07-28Economics and Capitalism in the Ottoman Empire (Routledge Studies in the History of Economics)
- 2020-06-25The Berlin-Baghdad Railway and the Ottoman Empire: Industrialization, Imperial Germany and the Middle East (Library of Ottoman Studies, Band 47)
- 2020-06-14Law and Legality in the Ottoman Empire and Republic of Turkey
- 2020-05-27The Black Eunuchs of the Ottoman Empire: Networks of Power in the Court of the Sultan (Library of Ottoman Studies)
- 2020-05-12The Great Siege of Malta: The Epic Battle between the Ottoman Empire and the Knights of St. John
- 2020-05-12The Ottoman Empire: From Beginning to End (First Balkan War - Gallipoli 1915 - Russo-Turkish War - Crimean War - Battle of Vienna)
- 2020-05-10The Hejaz Railway and the Ottoman Empire: Modernity, Industrialisation and Ottoman Decline (Library of Ottoman Studies)
- 2020-05-06Dismantling the Ottoman Empire: Britain, America and the Armenian question (SOAS/Routledge Studies on the Middle East)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.