Posted on 2020-04-23, by books_lover.
Accounting for Oneself is a major new study of the social order in early modern England, as viewed and articulated from the bottom up. Engaging with how people from across the social spectrum placed themselves within the social order, it pieces together the language of self-description deployed by over 13,500 witnesses in English courts when answering questions designed to assess their creditworthiness. Spanning the period between 1550 and 1728, and with a broad geographical coverage, this study explores how men and women accounted for their "worth" and described what they did for a living at differing points in the life-cycle. A corrective to top-down, male-centric accounts of the social order penned by elite observers, the perspective from below testifies to an intricate hierarchy based on sophisticated forms of social reckoning that were articulated throughout the social scale. A culture of appraisal was central to the competitive processes whereby people judged their own and others
- Ebooks list page : 43357
- 2022-03-12City Women Money, Sex, and the Social Order in Early Modern London
- 2021-08-24Persuasion and Conversion - Essays on Religion, Politics, and the Public Sphere in Early Modern England
- 2021-08-20Persuasion and Conversion Essays on Religion, Politics, and the Public Sphere in Early Modern England
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Eucharist and the Poetic Imagination in Early Modern England (Ideas in Context)
- 2014-06-03Crime, Gender and Social Order in Early Modern England (repost)
- 2011-10-19Crime, Gender and Social Order in Early Modern England
- 2022-01-16Literacy in the Persianate World Writing and the Social Order
- 2021-09-04Conflict and the Social Bond Peace in Modern Societies
- 2020-05-18Religious and Sexual Nationalisms in Central and Eastern Europe: Gods, Gays and Governments (Religion and the Social Order)
- 2020-05-18Religion in Times of Crisis (Religion and the Social Order)
- 2020-05-12Powers and Prospects: Reflections on Nature and the Social Order
- 2019-05-30Venice As the Polity of Mercy : Guilds, Confraternities, and the Social Order, c. 1250-c. 1650
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Politics of Ritual Kinship: Confraternities and Social Order in Early Modern Italy (Cambridge Studies in Italian History and Culture)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Religion in Times of Crisis (Religion and the Social Order)
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Leaving for the Rising Sun: Chinese Zen Master Yinyuan And The Authenticity Crisis In Early Modern East Asia
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Powers and Prospects: Reflections on Nature and the Social Order
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Religious and Sexual Nationalisms in Central and Eastern Europe: Gods, Gays and Governments (Religion and the Social Order)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Managed Lives: Psychoanalysis, inner security and the social order
- 2017-07-08Powers and Prospects: Reflections on Human Nature and the Social Order
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.