Author: The Honorable Richard A. Posner
Publisher: Harvard University Press
Posted on 2011-10-16, by sharebookfree.
A Failure of Capitalism: The Crisis of '08 and the Descent into Depression
The Honorable Richard A. Posner | Harvard University Press | 2011-05-17 | 368 pages | English | PDF
The financial and economic crisis that began in 2008 is the most alarming of our lifetime because of the warp-speed at which it is occurring. How could it have happened, especially after all that weâ€™ve learned from the Great Depression? Why wasnâ€™t it anticipated so that remedial steps could be taken to avoid or mitigate it? What can be done to reverse a slide into a full-blown depression? Why have the responses to date of the government and the economics profession been so lackluster? Richard Posner presents a concise and non-technical examination of this mother of all financial disasters and of the, as yet, stumbling efforts to cope with it. No previous acquaintance on the part of the reader with macroeconomics or the theory of finance is presupposed. This is a book for intelligent generalists that will interest specialists as well.
Among the facts and causes Posner identifies are: excess savings flowing in from Asia and the reckless lowering of interest rates by the Federal Reserve Board; the relation between executive compensation, short-term profit goals, and risky lending; the housing bubble fuelled by low interest rates, aggressive mortgage marketing, and loose regulations; the low savings rate of American people; and the highly leveraged balance sheets of large financial institutions.
Posner analyzes the two basic remedial approaches to the crisis, which correspond to the two theories of the cause of the Great Depression: the monetaristâ€”that the Federal Reserve Board allowed the money supply to shrink, thus failing to prevent a disastrous deflationâ€”and the Keynesianâ€”that the depression was the product of a credit binge in the 1920â€™s, a stock-market crash, and the ensuing downward spiral in economic activity. Posner concludes that the pendulum swung too far and that our financial markets need to be more heavily regulated.
Read Richard Posner's blog, and his latest article in The Atlantic. (20090501)
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 14513
- 2011-07-28A Failure of Capitalism: The Crisis of '08 and the Descent into Depression
- 2011-07-15A Failure of Capitalism: The Crisis of '08 and the Descent into Depression
- 2012-03-20The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex, Volume I By Charles Darwin
- 2022-11-21Barth on the Descent into Hell God, Atonement, and the Christian Life
- 2022-08-15Christ the Conqueror of Hell The Descent into Hades from an Orthodox Perspective
- 2019-03-25Life and Words Violence and the Descent into the Ordinary
- 2019-03-21Life and Words Violence and the Descent into the Ordinary
- 2019-03-17Life and Words Violence and the Descent into the Ordinary
- 2019-03-07Life and Words Violence and the Descent into the Ordinary
- 2017-10-25[PDF] The Descent into the Maelstrom (The Phantom of the Earth Book 4)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Business as Usual: The Economic Crisis and the Failure of Capitalism
- 2014-03-07Business as Usual: The Economic Crisis and the Failure of Capitalism by Paul Mattick
- 2014-03-06Business as Usual: The Economic Crisis and the Failure of Capitalism
- 2022-12-29Anatomy of a Banking Scandal The Keystone Bank Failure-Harbinger of the 2008 Financial Crisis
- 2022-12-01Richard D Wolff - Capitalism's Crisis Deepens- Essays on the Global Economic Meltdown, 2010-2014
- 2022-03-31Capitalism in Crisis The global economic crisis explained
- 2022-03-10Capitalism in Crisis The global economic crisis explained
- 2022-01-13Capitalism in Crisis The global economic crisis explained
- 2021-09-07Richard D Wolff - Capitalism's Crisis Deepens- Essays on the Global Economic Meltdown, 2010-2014 (azw3 epub mobi)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.